This past week I had the privilege of attending our 2019 Southern Baptist Convention. Chisholm Heights, we are blessed to be in cooperation with these other congregations as we work together for the purposes of the Kingdom of God. I will be giving a more detailed report in the days to come, but I did want to share just a few impressions.
1. Our president, J.D. Greear is providing visionary leadership to our convention. Great days are ahead for us as we understand more of what it means to be a people that hold “The Gospel Above All.”
2. We want to be a denomination that protects the vulnerable. Our governing documents will reflect the fact that we cooperate with churches that hold a high standard to caring for the victims of abuse and oppression.
3. We desire for people of all cultures, backgrounds, and ethnicities to find a place at the table. We took significant steps to bring a wider diversity to our committees, boards, and other leadership teams.
4. Women are a valued and irreplaceable part of the ministry of our denomination. Evidenced in conversations both public and private, Southern Baptists are working hard to communicate the significant role women must have in the coming days as we earnestly seek the Lord’s face and direction for our convention.
5. When all is said and done, we are still a ‘sending’ people. The missionary recognition service on Tuesday afternoon was one of the most moving moments in my spiritual life. I encourage you to read more about it HERE.
As I said, this convention was a blessing to attend. Thank you Chisholm Heights for supporting the work of Southern Baptists all around the globe through your faithful gifts to the Cooperative Program and to World Missions.
It is a joy to be your pastor!